Saturday, June 8, 2013

FIXATIONS GO EVERYWHERE.......even the cemetery.

Every year the day before Memorial Day, my grandma chooses a time to go put flowers on my grandpas grave and what makes it fun is the cousins, aunts, uncles ect who like to go at the same time. So while eating Sunday dinner we decided to prep the kids and tell them about visiting the cemetery after we eat and put flowers on great-grandpa Harward's grave. Of course they had questions so we chatted for a while, then cleaned up, climbed into the car and drove over to the cemetery. While there, Mr. E, who we thought understood our conversation at dinner, was standing next to my uncle behind the headstone trying to sound out the name (Harward).
"Har......Harwaaaa.....harrrrwwaaaarrrrrr.....ddd. Ohhh Harward!" Then while still looking at the headstone said "Harward. I miss Harward."
My uncle, also still looking at the headstone and finding humor in what Mr. E just said, responded with "yeah, I miss Harward too."
Mr. E then said "yeah....Harward was a good guy"
My uncle responded "yes he was a good guy".

There are so many times we will have a conversation with him or think he's listening and it goes in one ear and right out the other.....if it even goes in?
If there is something I need him to for sure hear, I will put my hand on his head and ask him to look me in the eyes. The contact seems to gain his focus.

Now for the fixations part.

His everyday fixation right now is buildings. He loves to build them out of Legos , toilet paper rolls, books, paper and really, just about anything he can find.

After the family gathering we walked through the cemetery and Ethan asked if he could have a really tall headstone that looked like a building or skyscraper. Then he spotted the perfect headstone and ran over to it and yelled back "just like this but with windows!" Then asked for a picture.
Yeahhh, I know, kind of funny to have your kid picking out his headstone.





No comments:

Post a Comment